Sunday, January 24, 2010

Allow me to get sappy for a few minutes. Actually, this is MY blog! I can write whatever I want, and there's something about being stranded in a blizzard that makes me not care if people want to gag at my words.

So this weekend, Bryan and I headed down to Moose Jaw. We had booked a night at the spa for our first anniversary celebration (belated by a few weeks). Even though the weather forecast called for bad roads and a potential winter storm, we were stubborn and determined. We are the kind of people who can't handle the thought that our plans will have to change, especially in regards to something we are looking forward to. So we set out on Saturday morning and battled an inconvenient, but not impossible, path down to Moose Jaw. We had a wonderful time, and it was just nice to have a change of scenery for a little bit.

Then we woke up on Sunday morning and could barely see outside for all the snow blowing angrily around outside. We soon learned that all roads outside of Moose Jaw are closed, and that the snow is expected to keep coming all day long. We checked out of our hotel, plowed our way to a gas station to gas up and pump up our leaky tire (managing to get stuck twice), then ended up at McDonald's. If it weren't for this laptop, some newspapers, and word/number puzzle papers, we'd be going stir-crazy right now. We're pretty much just waiting to see if we can drive to Saskatoon later today, or if we should check into a motel tonight.

Anyway, the reason I prefaced this blog with a "sappy" warning is because this is one of those times where I look at Bryan and realize how blessed I am to have him in my life. He's pretty good at rolling with the punches...something I struggle with from time to time. I'm sitting across from him at our booth, typing this blog secretly, and he's looking down at one of the newspapers. I just want to squeeze him. It sounds cliche, but I can honestly say that no matter where I am, if Bryan's there with me, I feel happy. Sure, there's an underlying stress about when we'll be able to get home, but I'm content overall and I know that things will work out.

Something we've learned from these past two Januaries is this: whenever we have to drive anywhere to do something romantic (like, say, get married or go on a special trip), there will be a blizzard. Sorry, people of Saskatchewan! This weather is probably our fault!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So THAT'S why the weather gets crappy. How dare you.

4:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home