Monday, February 14, 2005

Gime

That's "gym", spelled phonetically according to one episode of the Simpsons. And it's also something that has become a major part of my life. Years ago, I would never have imagined myself being committed to a workout routine, buying gym clothes, making sweat circles in my armpits, and being so tired I'm also too shaky to type. Physical fitness was about as important to me as learning to speak Russian, and even though it was endorsed in my family, it was never so important as to be impressed upon my mind that I should actively seek it throughout my life (for which I am grateful, because as a teenager I probably would have hated myself all the more for not being up to another "standard"). But ever since last year, when my room mate encouraged me to try it with her, I've found an outlet for both my frustration and happiness, an inpouring of encouragement and stress-relief, an increase in my general energy and desire to care for my health, and an increase in self-esteem. There is definitely a link between exercise and serotonin, and it's made a huge difference in how I see myself. And it also builds character, which I can see in my newfound attitude to persevere when I think I can't make those last two biceps curls. I highly recommend having a regular workout routine, whether it's at a gime or by just taking regular walks and doing some kind of strength training, because this is my honest belief: If I can do it (I dropped gym class in Grades 11 and 12), anyone in the world can do it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Nance said...

You almost make me want to go to the gym. And that's saying a lot. Nice persuasive work, Kjersti, but you haven't seduced me over to the physically fit side yet!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home