Wednesday, February 16, 2005

The Wonder of Rosie

That's not her actual name, but I do believe I'm not technically allowed to share her name outside of work...at least that's what they taught us at school. But anyways, the wonder of Rosie is maybe a boring anecdote but one that speaks volumes to me (maybe you had to be there). But last night at work, I woke Rosie up at 4 am to use the washroom. She had just gotten back from the hospital that day for a small heart attack and pneumonia, and was obviously needing her rest. But she was also needing a Depends change so she wouldn't have to sleep in her own wetness all night, so I felt like a jerk but went into her room, turned on her lamp, and softly called her name till she woke up.
And what's the first thing she does? After the inconvenience of an interrupted REM cycle and the arthritic soreness that intensifies after lying still for several hours, she reaches up with a shaky hand and softly strokes the side of my face. "You're a lovely girl," she says with a smile.
Then while we're in the washroom taking care of business, she starts singing "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz". I take her back to bed and she says "God bless you dearie" before falling back asleep.
I can't explain it, but I'm overwhelmed that a person in her condition can be so joyful and unselfish. I know she loves the Lord with all her heart, and I'm willing to bet that has everything to do with it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nance said...

What a beautiful woman! I want to grow old like that.

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home