Thursday, March 02, 2006

I love my job. Seriously, I can't get over it. I think, like most people my age, jobs have been mainly taking whatever we can get so we have cash for school, travel, killing time, etc. So now that I'm waking up and looking forward to punching in, it's like, whoa!!! Such a blessing, and one that I waited so long for. For a year I did the care home thing, loving the people but struggling with worry about my future. Then I heard about this position with SAI, and applied there. I went through two interviews...the first one accepted me, but I turned it down because it wasn't what I was looking for. (Normally I'm one to play it safe, so I almost took it, but Someone softly told me to wait.) Then I went in for another interview a month later (still not quite the position I was hoping for), and a couple weeks later SAI got back to me...not about that second interview, but about the exact position I wanted. They hired me right over the phone, no interview, and got me set up with an orientation schedule right away. (In the midst of all of this, I tried two different casual positions and ended up quitting both because I was never available when they needed me.) For me, to have that much going on and not go insane is amazing.
But seriously, it's so incredible. I get to work with people who challenge me in ways I hate but need, and who bless me in ways I love. There's this one guy whose face lights up when he sees the simplest things (a shiny watch, a sticker on the ground, a flower) -- and when his eyes meet yours, it's like he's letting you into a beautiful world that not many people get to see. And this girl I work with is like a teddy bear, she'll just snuggle right up to you, and it wouldn't matter if the world passed you by. Another girl, who doesn't attach easily to others, kissed my hand once when I was leaving. And there's another guy who gives me the most nerve-wracking five hours of my week, but when he's happy you know all the "uncertain" moments were worth it. I love talking about Spongebob and puppies and french fries and coins, hockey and babies. The scope of conversation is never large, but each thing in it is fascinating and wonderful.
All in all, this job rocks. It was totally worth the wait, and I'm learning things I don't think I could learn anywhere else. God is good.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nance said...

I'm so happy for you, and they're so blessed to have you in that job... Kjersti, you rock!

9:59 PM  
Blogger *WinterOne said...

Aw I'm so happy for you! I hope that some day I will be as passionate and content with what I am doing as you are.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home