Saturday, September 16, 2006

You know when something's so beautiful it hurts? It might be a single moment when the sunset is absolutely perfect, or a bunch of circumstances coming together in just the right way, or a revelation that frees you in a way you'd never known before. Whatever it is, you know it's good, you feel it's good, but there's a deep ache you can't put your finger on. I think that's because the goodness has surpassed our ability to feel. It's too big for us, so we can't contain it in all the vastness of our heart and mind, and we can't respond to it in any way worthy of its magnificence. When something is too wonderful for words, sometimes it's even too wonderful for any expression of our soul, be it noise or silence, emotion or thought. I love those moments, but they also frustrate me because I know I can never give enough back to God for the joy He's given me, and no expression of thanks will ever be enough. But I also believe those moments are little tastes of heaven -- and when we get there, it will be an eternal moment of beauty that we can finally fully respond to, because we'll finally be perfect. And then it won't hurt anymore at all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nance said...

Amen!

12:18 AM  
Blogger chelsea rae said...

did u steal that from max lucado...hmmmm...love it!

9:19 AM  
Blogger The World of Haab said...

It amazes me how you can put feelings/experiences into words...it so profound...you have a gift.

By the way "Nance"...love the pic.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home