Sunday, June 24, 2007

Sailor Dan

What a man!
That Sailor Dan.
I saw him outside Petro Can.

He had a drawing in his hand.
His face was wrinkled and quite tanned.

He held the door for friends and I.
We said "thank you" and walked on by.

"That's Sailor Dan!" I whispered loud.
Seeing him made me feel proud.

My friends from out of town just shrugged.
But something in my mind was tugged.

I went back out and smiled, said "hi".
He smiled and looked me in the eye.

"Isn't she beautiful?" said Sailor Dan.
He raised the drawing...two-foot span.

We spoke about the price and I
went in to get some cash to buy
this piece of art from this sweet guy.

I came back out and paid the price,
and he was very very nice.

He told me that I need to go
to Van and see the arts they show.
"I'm going there later," I let him know.

But then we had to go our way.
"God bless" he said. Then he did say,

"Tell your friends I'm here each night!"
I said I would. I think I might.

So now that drawing's on our wall.
It's hanging in our once-bare hall.
I'm so glad that, once and for all

I saw that man
named Sailor Dan,
just smoking outside Petro Can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home