Friday, March 04, 2005

The Hardest Thing

It's crazy that every day we are faced with the choice to push, push, push ourselves to the breaking point, over and over again, to try and defeat the shame that comes part and parcel with living in this fallen world and to gain the attention of God and other people; or to fall back on His grace because He has already done all the necessary work for us. For all the sweat, blood and tears the first option requires, the second one is usually so much harder. Maybe it's partly because the second option doesn't allow us to feel bad about ourselves, the way we "deserve" to feel since we're so screwed up and unworthy. Maybe it's partly because there is nothing else in existence, not even the purest human love, that doesn't require some sort of high-jump bar to be leapt over before complete acceptance is gained. What do you think?

1 Comments:

Blogger Nance said...

I think we tend to opposite extremes. I frequently forget how unworthy I am and take God's grace for granted, living for myself and forgetting that I ought to be serving Him. I tend not to be overcome by shame, but to be shameless. When we get to heaven, hon, we'll finally be able to meet in the middle and drop the baggage entirely. I'm looking forward to it.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home