Saturday, December 10, 2005

Ryan

For those of you out there who read Challis's comment on my last blog, here is an explanation: go to www.cs.usask.ca/~sgs331/index.html, and there you'll learn a lot about the secret lives of the Saskatoon gang, mine included. Somewhere in there is a newspaper article about my recent engagement to Ryan Fitzgerald. We met this summer when his mom decided I was perfect for him, and then had me over for dinner so we could meet. Needless to say, the conversation did not take off in any way, shape, or form. There were only a few curious glances exchanged over a meal and a game of Balderdash. We didn't see each other again for several months, and my hope slowly ebbed away into nothing. Then suddenly, I was out for a walk on the train bridge (as I've been known to do from time to time), when suddenly I saw a kitten wandering slowly along the tracks. The poor thing was so confused and afraid...especially since the tracks were shaking. A train was on its way! My long legs carried me swiftly across the safety barrier, and I grabbed the kitten and turned around to jump back over the fence, but my foot became wedged between two planks and I couldn't move! I tossed the kitten to safety, and the selfish thing ran away, giddy to be alive but totally forgetting her rescuer. While pulling frantically on my leg, I saw the train round the bend and start on the bridge toward me. It whistled loud and long. I was so panicked I could only see black.
Suddenly, my foot shot out of my shoe and I started to fall backwards off the bridge! Just then, a pair of strong arms flew around me and pulled me to safety, then carried me over the fence as the train blew past with the speed of a bullet.
I looked up into my hero's eyes....
he looked down into mine...
recognition flashed like a match struck in the darkness, and somehow we knew...we knew...that we were meant to be together.
He proposed right then and there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home