Tuesday, March 08, 2005

In The News

I'm not much of one to keep up with the news, but I'm sure almost everyone's heard about the man who threw his three-year-old daughter headfirst off an overpass, 50 feet straight down into heavy traffic. He jumped right after and died, but the little girl is alive (on life support, as I understand it, so things look grim). Anyways, I don't know much about the circumstances. All I know is that people in this world who can hurt so much as to throw their own baby off a bridge before committing suicide is such a huge reminder of how screwed up this planet is. People are in so much pain everywhere we look, I guess in different degrees. And what can we really do? There are no pat answers, and sometimes by trying to help, we say or do things that make it worse. I'm not saying we shouldn't try, but how do you begin to effectively reach out to someone who has self-destructing tendencies, lifelong depression, even temptations to commit adultery or murder? It all lies in God's sovereign ability to stir people's hearts, I guess when you get right down to it, and it's not up to us to move mountains. But practically speaking...what do you do?
That's maybe more a rhetorical question than anything else, cause of course there is no perfect answer. And it's late, so I'm just tired and have too much of a one-track mind at the moment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home