Saturday, July 23, 2005

Is this Loneliness or Conditioning?

I'm sitting here at home alone on a Saturday night and feeling mildly depressed about it, when all of a sudden the thought hits me: why am I depressed to be home alone on a Saturday night? If it was Wednesday or Monday night, I'd be totally fine. Yeah, I know weekends are different from weekdays, but that's not the point. The point is, I blame Archie comics and the like for conditioning us to believe we are dateless losers if we stay at home on the weekend, watching "10 Things I Hate About You" and playing piano and putting off housework. After all, I bet at least half of the people in the world are doing the exact same thing. And let's be honest, if/when I do get a boyfriend, I'll still be spending some Saturday evenings alone anyway.
While we're on this rampage, let's get mad at Disney and Barbies. I love most Disney movies, and Beauty and the Beast may be the grandest one ever, but come on! The Beast needed to fall in love by his 21st year to break the spell...do you remember the massively-muscled man who rose from the ground after all the airborne twisting and morphing? There's no way he's my age! He's got to be at least 30! And don't get me started on little miss Ariel's sixteen-year-old status when she marries Prince Eric (who is fairly hot).
And Barbies, in all their sickly perfection, send evil messages to little girls that I think stay with them subconsciously. We should all be like Courtney who, instead of playing "fashion magazine" or "supermodel" with the depreciating dolls, played "Holocaust" and "Escape from Slavery". At least she learned something about how to hide in secret rooms and how to fight back at the man who's whipping you.
That's my ramble. I need to mow my fluffy legs now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Challis said...

Where are you? Seriously! You're too damned funny to not hang out with! You and Jasmine (girl Amy and I went to school with) need to hook up on a Disney bashing rant!
I would like to share that my parents wouldn't buy me Barbies growing up, so I played with large cardboard boxes, my siblings, and a whole lot of my imaginations in the outdoors. Talk about having a good time! What did you play with?

3:04 AM  
Blogger Kjersti said...

Definitely with Barbies, My Little Ponies, Playmobile, Littlest Pet Shop, Polly Pocket...man alive, I was such a girly-girl!

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home