Saturday, April 29, 2006

Marzipan

Nice, new cars have nothing on my 1990 Dodge Spirit. I got it for free because Alberta wouldn't let my brother keep it...something about the floorboards being hazardously rusted...but good ol' Saskatchewan doesn't judge anything by its cover! Marzipan has an engine that won't quit and a spirit that won't die, even in the face of life-threatening problems. For instance, almost a month ago I parked her in front of the house, and right away there was a lovely green river rushing along the curb and down the street. Upon lifting her hood, we discovered a large hole in the radiator through which my coolant was quickly and noisily escaping. Thankfully my uncle was able to fix it, and after borrowing Nate's car (which had a peculiar penchant for honking whenever I signaled right) for a week, I was able to get back behind the wheel of my war-wounded auto.
Shortly after this, I was rear-ended by an elderly gentleman who drove slowly away as if he hadn't noticed a thing. The yellow scars on my car's bumper will probably never heal on their own.
In the meantime, I had begun to notice a grinding noise every time I braked, but as I am just a stupid girl, I figured my brake pads were dirty. WRONG. They were gone. Dad was quite pleased to discover I'd let this problem continue for so long, and stayed up till 1:30 am before Easter Sunrise Service to fix it right up...as well as a few other issues he discovered while spending all day with my car.
Now she's running well, and I am thankful for everyone who makes my life with Marzipan go as smoothly as it does, considering how old and feeble she's become. It really is a group effort.

Yesterday, just to remind me not to get too comfortable with her, she decided to shed her rearview mirror.

6 Comments:

Blogger Carla said...

why hello....so I see your trying to take my blog ideas and put them to your own use. I guess this goes to show who's the better writter. Thats right I am. And Marzipan has nothing on Mr Peeps.

12:47 AM  
Blogger Challis said...

hey kjersti, have i mentioned lately how much i like to spell kjersti? that's your name, hey kjersti! So, kjersti, here I am no longer ignoring you and pleased as punch that you are busting it out, saskatoon style this summer, kjersti. Kjersti, have I mentioned how much fun you are recently? Lets play together. Now Kjersti! Why aren't you calling? I am not working the next two days and am looking to be entertained. Lets go beat up a bum! OR!! Ohh wait Kjersti, this is a good idea, lets go buy one of Sailer Dan's pictures. I know his hang out spots. Theres Maguires, and the Petro Can! To be fair he was trying to get me a free carwash at the PetroCan today. It was pretty sweet Kjersti. Ok, I'm leaving you now Kjersti. Have a PHENOMINAL day and call me soon or I'll hunt you down and call you a pirate hooker, Kjersti.

1:43 AM  
Blogger Kjersti said...

Carla, I'm hurt. Here I am, trying to find common ground upon which we can base our friendship for the future, and you go and bash me in the head with this accusation. I was even going to suggest that maybe Marzipan and Mr. Peeps were meant for each other...but I don't think I want my car playing over at your place anymore.
And Challis, I'm calling soon...stop with these scary threats!

4:14 PM  
Blogger Cat said...

Kjersti, I am happy to hear that Marzipan is running so well. Sally isn't doing so well. Check out http://cowtowncat.blogspot.com

6:30 PM  
Blogger Carla said...

Dear Marzipan,
Although we were ment to be I was not quit sure of your feelings toward me until Carla told me. Maybe we could of been something but sadly I cannot provide for you since I can not provide for myself. I'm having troble with my side door which would lead to no holding hands. I just can't see our relationship going anywhere. Your way to beautiful for me.


Signed Mr.Peeps

11:28 AM  
Blogger Carla said...

Dear Marzipan,
Lets get it on...

Signed Mr.Peeps

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home