Monday, November 06, 2006

Trading Pages

A week ago I was reminded of something that happened to me when I was fourteen, and it was super cool so I wanted to share. At that point I was materialistic to the point of believing inanimate objects had feelings, and I hoarded everything because I didn't want anything to feel rejected. Pitiful, I know! So one day Mom did the unthinkable and threw out some things of mine that I no longer needed or used. That night as I lay in bed, seriously aching for the loss of my treasures, I grabbed the Gideons Bible my Grandpa handed out to everyone in my class in Grade 5. It had a suggested reading for each day of the year, and the one for that day was Matthew 14:13-21. So I turned to that page and this is what my eyes fell upon:
"My son, do not make light of the Lord's discipline, and do not lose heart when he rebukes you, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son...no discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."
I couldn't read any more for the tears in my eyes. In that moment God's presence filled my room so powerfully I couldn't deny Him if I'd wanted to, and I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that He'd given me these words for this circumstance. It was the first big step in the long, unsteady journey of me learning to accept God's unconditional love for me, and accepting that He cared about the tiny (and, in hindsight, laughable) details of my life.
The next day I was flying high, and after school I grabbed my Bible to re-read the passage from the night before. I double-checked the "suggested reading" page and turned to Matthew 14, but was met with the story of Jesus feeding the 5000. Confused, I double-checked and read the surrounding chapters to be sure I was on the right track, because I specifically remembered seeing "Matthew 14:13-21" as the heading, and those verses on discipline as the subsequent words.
After more searching I found those verses right where they belong, in Hebrews 12. It took awhile for reality to sink in...God had given me a sweet miracle to reach me where I was at.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home